“Returning on the Wings of Peace”

The statue “Returning on the Wings of Peace” depicts a father newly home from combat and carrying his son on his shoulders. Some of our veterans have remarked that the statue reminds them of the local children in the villages where they served overseas.

This statue honors the legacy of Robert W. Braeger and Roy C. LaBudde for their dedication and support of the War Memorial Center. Robert Braeger, well known in Milwaukee for his car dealerships, was a second lieutenant in the Army Air Corps from June 1942 through the end of the World War II in 1945. He received a Distinguished Flying Cross from the U.S. Air Force for flying 30 combat missions during World War II. Milwaukee lawyer Roy C. LaBudde served in the United States Navy during World War II. He was also co-chair/chairman of the War Memorial Board of Directors, 1998-2002.