Milwaukee County War Memorial

West Facade Mosaic Mural

Edmund Lewandowski

Lewandowski at work on the War Memorial Mosaic, 1959. Credit: Edmund Lewandowski Educational Website.

Nationally recognized artist Edmund D. Lewandowski (1914–1998), an Air Force veteran  of WWII and native of Wisconsin, was asked by the War Memorial Center’s architect Eero Saarinen to transform the west facing facade into a tribute to honor those who gave their lives in service to their country.

Unveiled on Veterans Day 1959, the 1,440,000-piece mosaic features Roman numerals representing the commencement and end dates for World War II and the Korean Conflict:

  • MCMXLI (1941); MCMXLV (1945)
  • MCML (1950) and MCMLIII (1953)

Lewandowski also constructed a four panel mosaic honoring the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard for the 20th anniversary celebration of the War Memorial Center. It resides above the Honor Roll Reflecting Pool in the WMC’s inner courtyard.

 

Back to Main Back to Main Back to Main WMC on Facebook WMC on Flickr WMC on Twitter WMC on You Tube WMC on Pinterest WMC on Google Plus